Clubs can go through many list changes per season, with multiple players both arriving and departing. During the trade and free agency periods, some well-established and in some cases, star players, have moved to different clubs for next year’s season.
As player movement between clubs, has become part-and-parcel of the modern game, club supporters may love or loathe their respective clubs' decisions – and responses can vary from nonchalant indifference to utter shock and disbelief.
One such case, more likely to fall at the 'shock and disbelief' end of the spectrum, would be Hawthorn’s decision to trade both Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis to West Coast and Melbourne respectively.
It’s not often, that a club simultaneously trades two of their best players, especially when they come 1st and 2nd in the clubs best and fairest for that year (as Mitchell and Lewis did).
What may serve as ‘salt in the wound’ for Hawthorn supporters, could be the relative peanuts, which the Hawks received in return for the star duo, trade pick 88 for Mitchell and picks 48 and 66 for Lewis.
However, it is unlikely to be all doom and gloom for the Hawks, as they still have a plethora of talent all over the ground and also secured young guns Jaeger O’Meara and Tom Mitchell for season 2017.
While Mitchell and Lewis stand out as the largest shock to the AFL community, other notable senior players have also moved on to new clubs for the upcoming season, these players include:
- Travis Cloke to the Bulldogs (from Collingwood),
- Brett Deledio and Tendai Mzungu to Greater Western Sydney (from Richmond and Fremantle),
- Lynden Dunn to Collingwood (from Melbourne),
- Michael Hibberd to Melbourne (from Essendon),
- Dion Prestia to Richmond (from Gold Coast).
All content within the Rookie Me News section is subject to the terms and conditions as outlined here
- Image: "2015 AFL Grand Final - Hawthorn v West Coast", zimbio, Published on 2 October 2015, Accessed on 11 January 2017, http://www.zimbio.com/pictures...
- Image: "Western Bulldogs begin pre-season training with new faces and new looks", Herald Sun, Published on 5 October 2016, Accessed on 11 January 2017, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sp...
- Image: "GWS recruit Brett Deledio hopes his shock move to the Giants reinvigorates his love for the game", Herald Sun, Published on 25 October 2016, Accessed on 11 January 2017, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sp...
If you would like an opportunity to submit a blog to Rookie Me News and for it to have the chance to be published, please send your blogs/writing pieces through to email@example.com with your contact details!